Saturday, March 12, 2011

Reading list

I've been doing quite a bit of reading about virtual worlds over the last few months. The focus has mainly been on SL and WoW, but some general/theoretical stuff crept into the mix. For now, it's just a list of names; I will come back and annotate them later.

Here's the list, in the order that I read them (or will read them, for those yet unread).

Tom Boellstorff, Coming of age in Second Life

Edward Castronova, Synthetic worlds: The business and culture of online games

-- , Exodus to the virtual world: How online fun is changing reality

Janet H. Murray, Hamlet on the holodeck: The future of narrative in cyberspace

Zach Waggoner, My avatar, my self: Identity in video roleplaying games

Bonnie Nardi, My life as a night elf priest: An anthropological account of World of Warcraft

Ken Hillis, Online a lot of the time: Ritual, fetish, sign

T.L. Taylor, Play between worlds: Exploring online game culture

Celia Pearce and Artemesia, Communities of play: Emergent cultures in multiplayer games and virtual worlds

William Sims Bainbridge, The Warcraft civilization: Social science in a virtual world

No comments:

Post a Comment